Wednesday, September 24, 2008

1 Chicken = 3 meals

I love budget-friendly meals, something that will feed all of us and still have left-overs is even better. BB 12 (bloomboy 12) is very picky and really hates all types of meats, but I have found that he loves a whole chicken cooked in the crockpot. I usually put it in the crock pot in the morning with a lemon pepper seasoning or Mrs. Dash for chicken and then cook all day. The meat is really tender and oh so yummy. So this is meal #1 add a potato and a vegetable and you have dinner. Even with a family of 5 and big hearty eaters I have some leftover, so with this I make a cassorole or fajitas, meal #2. Now don't throw away the bones put them back in your crock-pot and add some onions, celery, seasonings and 6 cups of water, put your crock-pot on low and cook for 10 hours and you have your own, no preservatives added, chicken stock to make soup. So there you have it I get a chicken at Wal-mart for under $4 and get 3 meals from it. Pretty budget-friendly if I do say so myself.

No comments: